FORESTRY – A LEADING CONTRIBUTOR
TO OUR ECONOMY
Forestry is a large export earner, behind dairy and now ahead of meat.
OUR EXPORTS GO AROUND THE WORLD
Our timber products are exported to more than a dozen countries around the world. Most goes to China, with Australia the second most popular destination. The Republic of Korea, Japan and India are also major markets.
In total, all timber products earned $6.38 billion export dollars in the 2017/18 year, and that will grow to $6.6 billion in the year to June 2019.
A large proportion of our timber production is used in New Zealand.
FACTS ABOUT OUR FORESTS
- As at 1 April 2017, New Zealand’s net stocked planted production forest covered an estimated 1.71 million hectares – 1682 hectares more than the year before.
- The total planted forest standing volume was estimated to be 519 million cubic metres, with an average forest standing age (area weighted) of 17.38 years.
- in 2018, 35 million cubic metres of roundwood was harvested.
- Radiata pine is the main species grown in New Zealand, making up 90% of the planted production forest area.
See more forestry statistics on the Forestry New Zealand website.
You can also check out Facts and Figures – a Forest Owners Association publication with detailed statistics and information about the sector.
A SECTOR WITH STRONG LEADERSHIP
New Zealand's forestry sector benefits from many strong leadership bodies.
- Forest Owners Association
- Ministry for Primary Industries - Forestry New Zealand
- Forestry Industry Contractors Association
- Wood Processors and Manufacturers Association
- New Zealand Institute of Forestry
- Wood Council of New Zealand
- Farm Forestry Association
- Forest Industry Safety Council (FISC)
Also, our educational organisations:
- Eastern Institute of Technology
- School of Forestry - University of Canterbury
- Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology
- NorthTec - Whangarei
- Turanga Ararau - Gisborne
- Agriculture and Life Sciences - Lincoln University
And forestry management companies:
- PF Olsen
- Rayonier Matariki Forests
- Hancock Timber Resources Group
- Nelson Forests
- Summit Forests NZ
- Port Blakely
- Pan Pac
- Ernslaw One
See more employers on the Forest Owners Association website.