Project Moturoa - Kaitiaki Whenua Trainee Ranger Programme
24 February 2020
Project Moturoa is a 10-month programme for rangatahi 18-24 years old run by NMIT in partnership with the Department of Conservation. This is the only programme of its kind offered in New Zealand. Preference will be given to those who whakapapa to Te Tau Ihu iwi and Ngāti Waewae, however, we will consider applications from those registered with other iwi and those over the age of 24.
Do you have:
- A desire to learn and to share your own knowledge in a group setting
- An interest in building your leadership skills and contributing to iwi/Māori development
- A passion for taking care of our environment/kaitiaki ō te taiao
- A genuine interest in integrating mātauranga Māori into your conservation work
- A willingness to learn about the Māori history of Te Tau Ihu o te Waka-ā-Māui and of Aotearoa
- An enthusiasm for protecting our wāhi tapu and wāhi taonga
- A willingness to learn about and to experience ngā taonga tuku iho of the different iwi in Te Tau Ihu o te Waka-a-Māui
- A reasonable level of fitness and/or a willingness to build this over the programme
- An eagerness to participate in regular noho marae and to support the tikanga and kawa of each marae respectfully
- An interest in some of the following career pathways:
- Te Taiao (DOC, Council, Iwi, Community Groups, Conservation Organisations)
- Iwi Development (Advisor, Advocacy, Monitoring, Admin, Research, Development)
- Primary Industries
- Tourism and Recreation
- Ongoing Education Opportunities
- A commitment to assist the development of this wānanga for future participants.
If you, a mate or someone in your whānau is interested in conservation then this may well be for you. For more information please click here or contact Sharlene Maniapoto by email or phone: 021 547 985.