GROWING YOUR FORESTRY CAREER
MANAGEMENT AND TECHNICAL OPTIONS
POSTGRADUATE COURSES: UC SCHOOL OF FORESTRY
As well as its degree courses in Forestry Science and Forest Engineering, the University of Canterbury School of Forestry offers the following courses:
- Postgraduate diploma in Forestry
- Master of Forestry Science
- PhD programmes in forestry and forestry engineering
More information from the UC School of Forestry
People working in management may also continue to upskill by undertaking post-graduate study - for example, a Masters in Business Administration (MBA) is a popular qualification for people moving into management roles.
PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION – NZ INSTITUTE OF FORESTRY
The New Zealand Institute of Forestry (NZIF) is the forest industry’s professional organisation. People working, or aspiring to work, at professional/managerial levels can join the NZIF and work towards becoming a registered member.
More information is available on the NZIF website
OTHER PROFESSIONAL/TECHNICAL COURSES
There are numerous short courses available for people in forestry management and technical roles. Some examples include:
- University of Canterbury Forest Engineering workshops (Christchurch)
- Interpine Innovation – range of 2-5 day courses including UAV pilot training, forest inventory and mapping (Rotorua). More information available from Interpine Innovation.